Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The 1970's


The 1970's decade was the best. Everything was so over the top: fashion, style, music, hairs. Although I was just a little kid I grew up watching it. The early 70's was all about "make love not war". People were really against the estabilished government and finally were free to express it everywhere and in any way they wanted to.

Music were symphonic rock (Emerson, Lake & Palmer and YES), psychodelic rock (Pink Floyd), folk rock (Joni Mitchell), crazy blues rock (Led Zeppelin) and many more. I mean, we were living among legends! I can't really remember a single band or musician that's not considered a classic now.

In the 1970's we didn't have technology:

  • 1) cell phones (mom simply didn't know where I was all day long. During school vacation I woke up, had breakfast and was off till the Sun came down and nobody cared!)
  • 2) air bags (ha! How could anyone drive around with no air bags? Preposterous!)
  • 3) internet (we'd believe everything and anything the TV and papers said)
  • 4) videogames (how come we didn't die of pure boredom?)
  • 5) cable TV (oh no! Where I live we had only 4 channels on TV and we liked it)

I had an incredible childhood. I lived in a Military Air Base and it was during the Cold War. It was like a really small town. We knew and felt confortable with all our neighbours and it's with theses people that today I feel completely at ease. Maybe they're the only ones that know the real me, without fear of exposing myself. Yes, I succeed at finding all of them thru the web and we have BBQ reunions every year where we remember, laugh and watch our kids play together.

Sometimes, the absence of information is a blessing. We were naive and happy.

1 comment:

NathalieC said...

Wonderful post! I loved to hear about you as a child and remembering how life was before all that technology!